Drive on Overnight Parking, Suggested by Garage Owners, Continued--Police Ask University Space for Students' Cars

Nearly 100 cars belonging to Harvard students were tagged for overnight parking last Friday night, the first night of a new drive by the police, suggested by garage men, against this practice. Since then more cars have been tagged each night, but the number has not been quite as great. About 70 per cent of these offenders will be prosecuted and subject to a $5 fine.

It was revealed at the Brattle Square station that garage men of the vicinity have been going out about 4 o'clock in the morning and checking up on the number of cars left in the streets and have then complained to the police. Special attention has been given to cars parked on streets where there are fire hazards. Riverside Street in front of the Houses facing on the river must be kept clear by orders of the fire department. Those streets in back of Dunster House where there are many wooden buildings are also considered to be in a fire hazard district.

The owners of all cars parked on these streets will be prosecuted on first offense. Overnight parking in prohibited on all the streets of Cambridge but usually offenders are not prosecuted until they repeat the offense. This policy will be followed during the present drive.

The police feel that it would help the situation a great deal if parking places could be provided for the cars of those students who can not afford to pay garage rent. At present the only parking space available for students of the University is Jarvis Street, which runs behind the Law School, connecting Massachusetts Avenue and Oxford Street. There are accommodations for not over 100 cars there and University officials will not allow overnight parking. The Business School has a parking place suitable for between two and three hundred cars, but it is restricted to the cars of the students and faculty of the school only. The various small parking places such as the one behind Widener and beside Lawrence Hall are restricted to faculty use.

No trouble is experienced by the police in the vicinity of M.I.T., where there is a parking space that will held over 1000 cars.