Fairy Tales

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The University learned recently of the promotion of Major Apted '06, to a colonelcy in the Yard Cop Force. We were very proud that the authorities should so signally commend him, and trust that he received an increase in salary befitting his now dignity. Perhaps for selfish reasons, I feel, however, somewhat hurt by this action. Through friendly associations with him last year, I came to look upon him as somewhat akin to a brother. I always referred to him as the "Major," as did my comrades. He became a part of the life of our little circle. Our college generation had accepted him. Tradition already was gathering about his head. Stories of his exploits (or his share in some of ours) were becoming famous. "Our children will rejoice in these tales of the 'Major','" we told one another wearily. College was becoming definitely worth while.

Now all is changed. Confusion has entered our midst. A budding tradition has been nipped. We have lost our familiar "Major" for an animal of a different stripe. He is now a Colonel. Will he act differently? Will his teeth become sharper we hope not. Nevertheless, things can never be the same. Some of us die-hards will persist in calling him "Major." Impudent young bloods will callously accept the new title, little realizing or caring that they are stamping on a fine old thing--a noble tradition. I, for one, regret this, and an bewildered by an officialdom which will commit such an act as this. D. G. Anderson '35.