LOWELL PRESENT WITH OVERSEERS AT MEETING

METHODS OF HANDLING STUDENTS IN TROUBLE DISCUSSED

President Lowell was present at the meeting of the Overseers in the Faculty Room when they convened at 9.15 o'clock yesterday. Other Overseers present were: Nathan Hayward '95, Philadelphia; James H. Perkins '98, New York; Roger Wolcott '99, Boston; Edward Mallinckrodt '00, Jr. St. Louis; Homer Gage '82, Worcester; Joseph Lee '88, Boston; Jesse I. Straus '93, New York; Leverett Saltonstall '14, Boston; Charles A. Coolidge '81, Boston; Henry James '99, New York; William T. Gardiner '14, Gardiner, Me.; Charles F. Adams '88, Boston; George R. Agassiz 84, president, Boston; Allston Burr '89, Boston; Dwight P. Robinson '90, St. Davids, Pa.; Frederick Winsor '93, Concord; Minot Simons '91, New York; Daniel F. Jones, Boston; Albert A. Sprague '98, Boston; George Whitney '07, New York; Francis Parkman '19, Southboro; and Winthrop H. Wade '81, Boston.

The Overseers opened the meeting by voting to give the power to the Corporation to elect the next president. The message of the vote was carried to an adjoining room where the Corporation was in session. Hardly a minute elapsed before President Lowell reentered the Faculty Room and reported to the Overseers that Conant was elected.

After the decision had been reached, the Overseers discussed methods of dealing with students in difficulty. Other affairs of the dean's office such as the dean's relations with the assistant deans, the committee on instruction, the student council, the dean of the faculty, and the president of the University were also considered.

At 1 o'clock, a luncheon was held for the Overseers in the rooms of the Society of Fellows at Eliot House. In the evening, the members of the Corporation and of the Board of Overseers dined at the home of President Lowell.

A talk in Sanders Theatre by Dr. A. T. Davison with illustrations by the choir will be the feature of today's program of the two day meeting. Dr. Davison will explain a new method of teaching singing so that the student learns by ear rather than by note.