Hoo Pueri Venit, Ut Virum Sitis

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed In Printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To The Editor of the CRIMSON:

Etymologically, I believe, the word gate derives from Anglo-Saxon meaning open, welcome The superintendent of the Yard and Buildings and his underlings, the Yard Cops, would do well to take this to heart.

The Yard has thirteen wrought iron gates, the gift of various well-meaning classes. Seldom if ever have I seen the gates all open during the day-time. Of course, at night there is an excuse and all except a few of the gates must be kept closed so that all entrances can be adequately watched by the plain-clothes men, but in the broader light of day there is no reason why the battallion of janitors who foregather in the basement of Harvard Hall should not shoulder their rusty keys and throw wide all the gates. The portals that are now life unlocked usually have one gate sadly ajar, making it necessary to wedge one's way in or squirm through surreptiously. The conditions in the Houses are even worse during the regular college year. There are many fine portals that open only once a year to admit the tractor that hauls the wooden board walks. Enough of cloistering. R. A. Briggs '34.

(Ed. Note--There are some who feel that cloistering is a pleasant sensation and like to have some separation between college property and the streets of Cambridge. At Oxford the gates are locked at 10 o'clock. Fines are imposed for those who enter late and double fines for those who try to climb over. The system is said to be a fertile source of income.)