LECTURE SERIES ON SCIENTIFIC GROWTH OPENED TO PUBLIC

Astronomy Professor Will Lecture July 13 on Recent Advances--Series Meant to Parallel Chicago Exhibits

Beginning Thursday afternoon, July 13, the Harvard Summer School will be host to the public as well as students who are invited to attend a special series of five lectures covering the most important scientific developments in the last 100 years. This series is designed to give significance to the Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago where there are many exhibits of the major discoveries during the period.

Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy, will deliver the first talk on Astronomy with demonstrations and slides on July 13 at 4 o'clock. At the same time the following week, H. E. Bent, assistant professor of Chemistry, will outline parallel development in his fields. Each lecture will be accompanied either with experiments and demonstrations or lantern slides. On July 27, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, is scheduled to give a similar talk. F. H. Crawford, Assistant professor, will give the lecture on Physics on August 3, and Professor Roderick MacDonald will conclude the series on August 10 with a discussion of the important discoveries and progress made in the field of Zoology. The lectures will probably be held in the New Lecture Hall or in one of the auditoriums in the Biological Laboratories so that all the public and students can be accommodated.