Shapley Will Give Lecture on Astronomy Here Thursday

stars, less than 10 light years away from the earth (a light year is about 6,000,000,000 miles), illuminates the Century of Progress Exhibition each evening. An automatic lecture on the Perseoid meteor shower which can be seen every August when the earth passes through the certain point in her orbit, will follow later in the evening. The meteors are called Perseoids, because they appear to come from the direction of the constellation, Perseus, which forms with Andromeda, an over lasting dramatic picture in the skies. In November, the earth passes through another belt and is bombarded by meteors from the direction of Leo, so that as many as 40 "shooting stars" can be seen in one minute with the Naka eye. There will be an exhibit of outstanding stellar photography, and an observation and identity of constellations if the weather permits. The development of astronomical equipment, illustrations of the Hooker telescope, the famous Lick observatory, spectroscopes, and the work Harvard has done in solar studies in South Africa, will be shown.

The Observatory is located between Concord Avenue and Garden Street with entrances on Concord Avenue opposite Buckingham Street, and on Garden Street, opposite Linnaeum Street. Automobiles should enter by the Garden Street gate.