Full Freshman Sports Program Planned For This Year by H.A.A.

Class of 1937 to Contain Many Men Who Were Prominent on Football Teams of Their Preparatory Schools

A full Freshman sports program, despite the depression, is the goal of the Harvard Athletic Association this fall.

In many other colleges the drop in gate receipts of the last two years has forced a sharp curtailment of athletic programs. And the Freshman teams, virtually a dead loss from a financial standpoint, are often the first to be hit. So far, Harvard has maintained a full schedule for every team, and except for cutting down the number of trips away from Cambridge it hopes to continue the policy this year.

Freshman Teams

Very soon after College opens, candidates for the Freshman football, cross country, and soccer teams will be called out. This year for the first time, a Second Freshman team will be organized, with a regular schedule of games with nearby preparatory schools and the Freshman elevens of other colleges. The approximately 200 candidates who annually turn out for Freshman football make such an unwieldy squad that it is necessary to pare the number to about 50 the first week. In the past the rest have gone immediately to the dormitory teams. This year those who really want to make a team will be kept on the Second squad, while those who are taking the sport to fulfill the physical education requirement will play on the dormitory teams.

Gallagher to Coach

C. M. Gallagher will be the new head coach of Freshman football. Gallagher, who is the Varsity wrestling mentor, will have as his assistants E. A. Mays '32, backfield coach, V. M. Harding '81, end coach, and Walter Cleary '15, line coach.

There will be no lack of material for the football team, for the class of 1937 contains its full quota of athletes who have achieved distinction on their preparatory school teams, Among those who should add lustre to the athletic record of the class are T. H. Bilodeau, Jr., star back of Phillips Exeter Academy; G. S. Ford, Belmont High School quarterback and his teammate, L. A. Ecker; M. B. McTernen, Jr., halfback of the Andover Academy team; F. J. Owens, quarterback and captain of the Mercersburg Academy eleven; Emile Dubell, Fairhaven High School fullback; W. H. Lane, Jr., captain of the Tabor Academy team; Herbert Jaques, Jr., of Milton Academy; H. M. Adlis, of Lynn Classical High; and C. W. Kessler, of Salem High.

Among the hundred or more men whom Exeter will send to Harvard in the class of 1937 are the following members of its 1932 eleven, in addition to Bilodeau; R. G. Pedrick, quarterback; C. P. LeRoyer, Jr., halfback; W. H. Rothwell, end.