The Crimson Playgoer

Public in the Hub of the Universe Is Generally Smug and Very Discriminating.

By E. W. R.

This week at the Central Square theatre one may see and hear Al Jolson in a vocal movie called "Say It With Songs." The only reason that this picture was made at all was in order to give Al Jolson a chance to burst forth from the screen in many of his singing orgies. And if you are a follower of the famous "mammy singer," you should by all means go to see this show. If, on the other hand, you do not like vocal refrain every few minutes throughout the picture, this is not the show for you.

Compared with some of his other shows, this is not their equal. The plot by no means holds up its end of the entertainment, and the individual characters, Jolson, and Marion Nixon, the pretty and sometimes rather appealing young wife, are forced to do more than their share. Davey Lee, as "Little Pal," is a deciding factor in the story, and gives a creditable performance while being so. It is the inspiration which results in the feature song of the program, also called "Little Pal." These words of emotional father love are well sung by Jolson, and are the best part of the picture.