CONTINUE REVIEWS OF ALL COURSES FOR YEAR

Treating the majority of courses open to Freshmen, the Crimson today continues the eleventh Confidential Guide to courses. Each review is written by one or more upperclassmen who has taken the course and is believed to be able to give unbiased criticism.

Economics 3

"Money, Banking, and Commercial Crises"

For him whose interest in economics is only as deep as the depression, there is certainly no satisfactory undergraduate course at Harvard, and probably no satisfactory graduate course. The Harvard economists don't know what the depression is. But they know what it isn't; and they tell what it isn't in Economics 3.

Using its title as an excuse, the course has become a comprehensive study of the organization of modern industry. But there are no facts to learn; no primary sources from which to amass empirical data. With slight exception, Economics 3 treats theory exclusively, and treats it in an almost fascinating manner. It is barely necessary even to take lecture notes or to do the most of the reading, which is negligible anyway. But it is most essential to think, to argue with one's classmates and one's tutor; or in short, to be enthusiastic. For the subject-matter of the course cannot be memorized.

Fraught as the times are with the desperation of depression-cowed governments which turn in their hours of need to authorities who in prosperous times are impractical academicians, Economics 3 is from time to time deprived of its ever changing first string lecturer. But the cream of Harvard's crop of economists is always thrown into the breach. Last year, during Professor Williams' absence in Geneva as one of the American experts to the World Economic Conference, Professor Josef Schumpeter, former Minister of Austrian finance, initiated 300 wrapt listeners into the theory of deposit creation and retirement and the higher mysteries of the exchange mechanism. This year, Assistant Professor Seymour Harris, one of Harvard's four authorities on trade and the business cycle, will give the lectures until such time as the N. R. A. may deprive the University of his services.

Dr. Currie, the other authority on trade and the business cycle, will take all the sections this year, as usual. Dr. Currie has his own theory of the business cycle, which to date is unrefuted, and which would instill intellectual curiosity into any but the most dead-headed undergraduate. He is a brilliant teacher with a sense of humor. In Economics 3, there is no qualitative discrepancy between lectures and classes.

Economics 4

"Monopolistic Industries and their Regulation"

Economics 4, a composite of two old half courses in railroads and corporations respectively, was given as a unit for the first time last year by Associate Professor Mason and Assistant Professor Chamberlin. It contains a wealth of interesting and important material, not yet fully hammered into shape.

In the first half year is taken up the organization of industry, the growth of monopoly, cost accounting, the characteristics of the modern corporation, and related problems, with especial attention to railroads. The second half year is devoted to the problems of government regulation and the comparative success of the various types of regulation: the public utility type, the anti-trust laws, and the prevention of unfair competitive practices. The first half year particularly seemed disorganized, and the lecturers felt called upon at the end of each semester to outline what they had been talking about. The reading is comprehensive; the lectures generally fair enough, though not inspiring.

The course may be expected to show considerable improvement in its second year. Much of the material is bound to be affected by the working out of the National Industrial Recovery Act, and it is probably a safe bet that the course will confine itself less than ever to strictly "monopolistic" industries.

English 10a

To many undergraduates the function of public speaking is considered confined to a certain small group of students who enjoy talking in general and the public eye in particular. And yet it is a mistake for educated men to begin life in the world beyond the University without being versed in the simple laws of speaking. This course, though labelled Public Speaking, is not intended to train men to be future Websters, Henrys, or Sewards The training of the course affords students who can face a group of persons without embarrassment, and present information that is clearly thought out as it is sure in presentation. It may be a student of Fine Arts addressing a group of committeemen who are planning a museum. It may be a physician explain- ing a recent case to a small audience of fellow doctors.

Work in English 10a consists in practice in speaking, with prepared speeches and extemporaneous being delivered by members of the course. The discussions that are held from time to time, are usually uninteresting, but the standard is determined by the students themselves and not of those in charge. Instruction is given in the art of presiding at meetings, and it is to be hoped that this phase of the work will be stressed in the future. But the speaking practice afforded in the course is its chief recommendation, and that a solid one.

English 35a

At the first lecture in English 35a, Professor Lake carefully explains that the course will be of no use for those who are preparing to pass departmental Bible exams. Just how far he is right is a moot point. At least, one is forced, or should be forced, to read the Old Testament, and if it is the first time, there is some help. Otherwise, very little.

There are very, very few large courses in Harvard University in which there is truly inspired lecturing. Once or twice during the year, there will come a moment, as Professor Lake reads from the Bible, when the scratching of pens and pencils will cease, students will straighten to complete attention, every whisper will fade to nothingness, and, for a few long seconds, the class will hold its breath, while Professor Lake passes the climax of his passage. Such tension can only last for a moment, but the effect of it lasts years. To have been present on one of those occasions is worth two ordinary half courses, and whether or not one may agree with Professor Lake's views, which can hardly be called orthodox, English 35a must be of inestimable value.

French 6

"General View of French Literature"

For those unfortunates who, because of their inexperience in listening to the spoken French, cannot enjoy the romantic Professor Morize or the colorful Professor Allard, other able instructors conduct several English sections in French 6. The course, a hasty survey of French literature from the 12th century to the present day, is expertly planned and conducted. In spite of endless reading reports and irksome "lectures obligatoires," the material covered is made genuinely interesting by the conscientious lecturers. The outside reading includes the best works of each period and can be made enjoyable if done at one's leisure. The course is particularly valuable because of the close connection between the literature of France and French people and politics. For concentrators in French, not a minute of the work put into French 6 will be wasted.

German 26a

German 26a, or German Literature in the first half of the Nineteenth Century, is a course which for the average student covers this period very thoroughly. The lectures, one each week, deal in turn with the lives and works of the major dramatists and poets of the period, while the other two hours during the week are taken up with reading the best from the works of Kleist, Uhland, Heine, and a few representative poems from a dozen of the other most prominent figures of the first part of the century.

In his lectures, Professor Silz shows a fine appreciation of the ability and works of the writers who were most prominent in the Romantic movement and his enthusiasm, although it may seem exaggerated to some, is distinctly refreshing. His remarks are by no means confined to the efforts of each individual, but give a comprehensive view of each writer's relation to the movement. The course is not intended for those who merely wish to dabble in German Romanticism, but for those who are ready to devote some study and give some thought to it.

Italian 1

"Italian Grammar, Reading and Composition"

Similar to all the elementary language courses, Italian 1 is pleasantly dull. Each day students appear with their reading or composition prepared, and the whole period is devoted to cramming grammar and vocabulary into them. Anyone wishing a reading knowledge in this language will find this course useful. However, those who simply want a "snap" should not include this course on