VARSITY APPEARS SPORTING SHORTS FOR BRIEF DRILL

Veteran Quarter Wins Back Place By Showing Wares in Practice--Sherman Replaces Moseley

Only the lightest of clothing was in order at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon when the Varsity squad turned out in trunks and athletic shirts. The players took a couple of turns around the field to limber up and then were given a short drill on a defense against passes. Following this the teams lined up and went through a signal drill. A scrimmage had been on the schedule but the heat forced the squad to strip.

Several changes in the lineup went into effect yesterday for Coach Casey is still experimenting with his backfield positions. Wells was back at his old post as signal caller of the A outfit and Sherman replaced Moseley as running back. Wells has improved in the last few practices and ought to stay up in there. Dean appeared in the abbreviated costume, but was replaced by Waters in the signal drill because of a slight injury. Another change was the replacement of White at right end.

In spite of the number of shifts, not much significance can be attached to the majority of them since the practice was so informal.