Cambridge Streets To Be Freed of All-Night Parking, Police Declare--To Force 30-Day Permits on Out-of-State Students

A new and vigorous police drive against parking automobiles all night on Cambridge streets has been instituted this fall by Captain Joseph J. Donahue of the Cambridge police. "I'll clean the streets if I have to tow the cars away," stated the Captain, and then produced evidence that such had already been done.

500 cars have already been tagged of which at least 300 are those of students at Harvard. Police are sent out at 12 o'clock each night solely to tag parking violators. Many owners who received arrests for parking have not appeared at the police station. But this year, a file is kept of all persons receiving parking arrests, and those who do not appear will be mailed a second card, and will ultimately be forced to obey the strong arm of the law. At the first offense, violators will be warned, but the second time they will be sent to court where they will receive a $5 fine.

"We have the most trouble with out-of-state cars," explained Captain Donahue. "Until this year, the statute was such that visiting cars could remain '30 consecutive days' in Massachusetts without getting a permit. Students dodged the law by explaining that on the 29th day they drove to New Haven or Providence or some such place, and then their allotted days would begin all over again. But this year the law has been amended to read that no car can remain in the state more than '30 days in a year." At the end of that time permits must be gotten at the Registry of Motor Vehicles. So now we have a means of getting at out-of-state cars by checking up.

"If out-of-state cars do not get the permit, and are found not insured, the fine is $100. I can't understand why students at Harvard who receive the finest education take such risks. They ought to know better. I guess the trouble is that their fathers have too much money and they don't take care of their cars. They don't park their cars in safe places while there are hi-jackers going around.

"But I sympathize with the student who is trying to save money by not putting his car in a garage. Prices are almost out of reach since the N.R.A. went into effect. However, there are garages and parking spaces which are not on Harvard Square and which do not charge prohibitive prices. Tech furnishes parking space for 1,000 cars, but Harvard provides no such facility."

Since the 30 day law has been amended, students will be forced this year to get driving permits at the end of that time. Drivers from certain states may receive a free permit merely for applying because the driver's licenses in those states have the same requirements as Massachusetts. These are California, Connecticut, Delaware, D. C., Hawaii, Manitoba, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. Drivers from other states must have local license.