Society Of Fellows Now Functioning In Every Detail--Initial Dinner Held

INFORMAL DINNERS ARE IN ORDER FOR YEAR

With the election of Dr. A. Lawrence Lowell to the Society of Fellows, the newly-created organization has begun to function in its own obscure way. Dr. Lowell was present at the first dinner of the society Monday evening where seven Senior Fellows and six Junior Fellows gathered for the first time in Eliot House. The Society seems to be naturally averse to publicity, considering it undesirable and alien.

The unique body of six Junior Fellows, chosen "for their promise of notable contribution to knowledge and thought" now moves freely about the University utilizing all its facilities such as libraries, laboratories, and privileges of instruction. In order that every convenience be offered, and that no financial obstacle rise to hinder the members, a yearly stipend of $1250 is offered from the anonymous gift to the Society of $1,000,000 which is believed to have been donated by Dr. Lowell. The foundation of the Society was the last great undertaking of Lowell's administration and is believed one of the most advanced methods for inspiring a desire for productive scholarship throughout the University.

Of the Junior Fellows, Garrett Birkhoff '32 and Frederick M. Watkins '30 are members of Lowell House, Thomas S. Chambers resides in Eliot House, John C. Miller '30 in Leverett House, and Burrhus F. Skinner in Winthrop House.

Informal dinners will be held each Monday throughout the year in the special suite of dining, common, and serving rooms of the society in Eliot House, built to furnish "frequent social commingling of men who are aiming at one goal by different paths."