MEDIEVAL SPANISH ART GIVEN TO FOGG MUSEUM

Carved Wooden Virgin Among Various Items--Spanish Government Gives Two Columns

A varied and interesting exhibit of Spanish art, representing the period from the twelfth to the fifteenth centuries, is now open to the public at the Fogg Art Museum. The collection includes, among other things, two large paintings showing the influence of the Netherlands on southern art; several pieces of Spanish furniture and embroidery; two columns, a gift from the Republic of Spain through the National Archaeological Museum; and other representatives of the art of that period.

Probably the most interesting piece in this collection is the Wooden Virgin of Tahull. This is an example of woodcarving rarely seen. It was taken from the country only at great risk to the owners, and is a highly prized possession.

As has been the custom for several years, the Fogg Museum has approximately one hundred prints available to students for use in their rooms. Some of these prints come from the Museum's own collection, while others have been lent or given for the purpose. The Museum hopes to add to the collection in this manner, thereby serving a larger number of the student body.

The collection is varied in its contents. Some are done by Timothy Cole, some by Sargent, some are reproductions from Holbein, some by less well-known artists.

For students living in regular college dormitories there is no charge for insurance. Those living elsewhere must pay a small sum to cover the cost of insuring the prints.

The prints will be assigned on Tuesday, October 3, at 2.30 o'clock.