NICHOLS RESIGNS FROM POSITION AS NEWS OFFICE HEAD

Will Direct Publicity for Cambridge Chief--Helped the Mayor in Recent Third Election

William I. Nichols '2, director of the University News Office, has been granted leave of absence until the expiration of his term in June, it was learned yesterday. Nichols, who was brought to Harvard as publicity director by President Lowell in September, 1932, will assist Mayor Richard M. Russell '14 in the preparation of a development survey of the city of Cambridge and in other matters.

Nichols' resignation came as a distinct surprise to many officials of the University and to press correspondents associated with the News Office. Rumors have been current for some time that the Conant regime would see several changes in the personnel of certain 'University offices, but Mr. Nichols' record as publicity director and his popularity among the representatives of the press seemed to mark him as one of the most valuable of the officers sponsored by President Lowell.

Aid To Russell

The announcement that Nichols will join Mayor Russell, recently reelected for his third term as Mayor of Cambridge, is regarded by many political observers as the first step in Russell's campaign for the governorship of Massachusetts. During the recent mayoralty campaign Nichols managed Russell's candidacy and was influential in effecting the latter's election against a united front of three opponents. Russell, it is well known, has his eye on the governor's chair, which was once held by his father, Governor William E. Russell.

Nichols graduated from Harvard in the class of 1926. As an undergraduate he was president of the CRIMSON at the time of the CRIMSON's famous campaign against the overemphasis of football. With Edward C. Aswell '26, he drew up the Student Council report which foreshadowed the House Plan. Following one year as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, he returned to Harvard in 1928 to serve two years as a Freshman dean, and then, in 1929 went to New York to take up advertising work. On September 1, 1932 he was called back to Harvard to assume command of the University News Office.