PRINCETON DOWNS CRIMSON SKATERS IN LIVELY CONTEST

Hasler-Dewey-Beale Line Working Well But Harvard Unable to Score Until Third Period

Exhibiting the smooth play of an experienced outfit, the Princeton hockey team defeated a fighting Crimson sextet 5-2 in a lively contest at the Garden Saturday. It was the second victory for Princeton, giving the Tigers their first series over Harvard in nearly twenty years. Since Yale lost to Dartmouth at the same time that the Crimson players were bowing to the Orange and Black, the latter are now leading the Intercollegiate Quadrangular league.

Coach Stubbs has at last found the line that will function properly in the Hasler-Dewey-Beale combination which started against Princeton, and with the return of Lane, who is still unable to use his injured leg for many minutes at a time, the defense should be considerably strengthened. Watts and Gleason both filled this position effectively, but there was a noticeable lack of reserve material to take their places.

Although Harvard had most of the chances to score during the first period, it was Princeton that made the only two scores. A Harvard attack was broken up deep in Princeton territory and a quick return rush by Lawson, and a pass to Savage netted the first tally at 13.19 as deGive was drawn out of the net. Duffey was sent to the penalty box for tripping, two minutes later, and the Tigers repeated the performance this time using Poole and Kammer.

Two Goals in Second Period

Two more Princeton scores were counted in the second period. Savage broke up a Crimson rush in the early part of the canto and carried it down the middle of the ice. deGive left the net to meet the play, but Savage lifted the puck, which, after hitting the Crimson goalie in the chest, bounced into the net.

It was not until two minutes after the third period had commenced that the Harvard team was able to make its first score. Dewey went down the right lane, while Hasler followed down the middle to receive Dewey's pass and drive it past Thouron. Despite an eager but unorganized attack while their opponents were short-handed, the Crimson was unable more nearly to even the count. At 18.36 Kammer scored Princeton's final goal and fourteen seconds later Duffey passed to Dewey for the last tally of the game.

The summary: HARVARD  PRINCETON Hasler, Kirkland, Ware, l.w.  r.w., A. Lane, Lawson, Tiers Dowey, Duffey, c.  c., Kammer, Savage Beale, Callaway, Lincoln, r.w.  l.w., Poole, Willis Watts, F. Lane, Choate, l.d.  r.d., Gardener, A. Lane Gleason, Dow, r.d.  l.d., Holsapple, Lea deGive, g.  g., Thouren First period goals: Savage (13.19).