Princeton Football Squad Will Dine With Crimson Team Nov. 3

Professor Coolidge Receives Acceptance of Invitation From Tiger Squad

For the first time in the history of Harvard football, the team this year will break bread with an opponent, following an encounter in the Stadium, when the Crimson and Princeton squads get together for a joint dinner in Lowell House on the evening of November 3.

This new step in the resumption of friendly relations with Old Nassau, was made possible by the suggestion and invitation of Julian L. Coolidge '95, professor of Mathematics and Master of Lowell House, who wrote to William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics a short while ago, suggesting that the Harvard and Princeton football teams dine together on the eve before the game and offering the use of the Lowell House Dining Hall for the purpose.

Bingham, feeling that the menus of the two teams might differ somewhat, and that the pre-game tenseness would not make for easy conversation, suggested in turn, to Professor Coolidge that the dinner be held on Saturday evening after the Stadium encounter, and that the entire squads, coaching staffs and members of the Athletic Committees be present. Both suggestions were agreed to.

Subsequently the invitation of Professor Coolidge was relayed through the Director of Athletics at Harvard to Burnham N. Dell, Chairman of the Princeton Board of Athletic Control and the offer was immediately accepted.

This dinner has its only precedent at Harvard in the annual dinner of the Oxford-Cambridge and Harvard-Yale track teams. When the new lounge in the Dillon Field House was first completed, however, members of opposing football teams were invited to partake of the coffee and sandwiches which were served there following the games in the Stadium. This arrangement was designed as a gathering place for friends but it proved unsatisfactory because the players appeared for refreshments in direct proportion to their score. Thus the losing team was always very poorly represented.

Following is the letter received yesterday by Professor Coolidge in answer to his invitation:

Dear Mr. Coolidge:

I am very happy to write to you that the Princeton football squad has accepted our invitation to dine with the Harvard squad after the game on November 3rd.

Inasmuch as the squads usually have luncheon around eleven-thirty, I think if advisable that we have dinner not later than six o'clock.

I want to thank you again for your kind thought. I know that this will be a very happy occasion, and of course we expect you to be with us.

With my best wishes, I am  Sincerely yours,  William J. Bingham