Alexander Kirkland, Star of "Men in White," Recounts Plan of Newly--Arrived Theatre Group

Aim Is to Emulate Head of Moscow Theatre; To Give Social Program Plays

A bewildered confusion of people and scenery cluttered up the stage door. Costumes, sets and backdrops filled the narrow passageway that led backstage. But in the midst of all that confusion was Alexander Kirkland, who is to play the leading role in "Men in White," the opening production of the newly-arrived Theatre Group.

When pressed for details concerning this unique organization, Mr. Kirkland explained that it was a permanent acting group formed to give a group of plays, all with the same distinctive treatment.

"Our aim," continued Mr. Kirkland, "is to emulate as closely as possible the unusual methods of Stanislavsky, famed Russian director and head of the largest theatre in Moscow. His technique, which we consider clearer and more exciting than any other, consists in treating every part in a play, though it be only a line, as if it were all important, thus making the production a powerful and composite whole, without any weak lines to mar the high and exciting tone maintained throughout.

J. Edward Bromberg, another leading member of the cast, then entered the discussion, and went on to explain that the group intended to produce if possible only plays involving social complications. Following "Men in White" come "Success Story" by John Lawson, and "Gold Eagle Guy" by Melvin Levy which has never been produced before.

Turning to Mr. Kirkland once again, the reporter asked if there was much difference in Boston and New York audiences. "Well," he replied, "they're different everywhere. In Boston you're liable to play to a bunch of critics, while in New Haven you'll have to amuse a bunch of drunks, and you have to vary your performance accordingly."