AN INEXCUSABLE OMISSION

Since 1931 the University has allowed the professorship of Meteorology and Climatology to remain vacant. The Administration excuses itself by the statement that the services of the leading meteorologists in the country are not at present available at Harvard. This attitude of patient waiting for the eligible meteorologist to come along does not, however, improve the lot of the student who is concentrating in a field that should include meteorological study.

Men in geology and geography must carry on a certain amount of work in meteorology; those in astronomy need a working knowledge of the subject in meteorology; those in astronomy need a working knowledge of the subject in order to carry on their observations competently. In the last few years most of these men have been obliged to go to Technology for meteorological instruction.

In a university which prides itself in being a great university there is no real justification for leaving such a gap in the list of courses as that created by the omission, over a period of years, of a course that is indispensable to many men's plans of study, elementary meteorology.