Band Needs Only Two Hours Practice Under Slade and Anderson for Weekly Performances

"Wintergreen" Author Arranges for Radio Programs; Slade With Band Six Years

These who wondered at the intricate "bow and arrow" formation and the stirring medley presented by the University Band between the halves of the Dartmouth contest last Saturday, may be surprised to learn that the whole performance was the result of only two hours of practice, under the supervision of two men.

The first of these is Leroy Anderson '29, director of the Band, whose arrangements and vigorous waving of the baton over his charges have made him a popular figure with the student body. This is evidenced by the vehement cries of "Wintergreen" which greet the musicmen on their appearance each Saturday.

A concentrator in music and leader of the Band during his undergraduate days at Harvard, this gentleman now does extensive arranging for radio programs, as well as making his weekly contributions to the Band. Outstanding examples of the latter are arrangements of "Harvardiana," "Soldiers field," the Yale and Dartmouth medleys, and the immortal "Wintergreen."

At the beginning of each week Anderson works up arrangements of visiting team songs which the Band must learn in a single hour's practice on Tuesday, for the other rehearsal on Friday is taken up with drill in formations under another mentor.

This is Guy Vernor Slade "32, former leader and now the "maestro of the drill," from whose brain are evolved the formations and maneuvers which delight the crowds each Saturday. The "best examples of his talent are the "bow and arrow" and "wah hoo wah" formations staged for the Hanoverians last Saturday.

Slade, who has been connected with the band for the last six years, admits that some of his ideas come from friends, but the most striking part of his achievement is his ability to work up the whole performance from scratch on Friday, taking only a single hour to verse the Bands men in their intricate maneuvers.