GRANTS OF $48,045 TO SOCIAL SCIENCE WORK

FORTY PROJECTS WILL BENEFIT FROM AWARDS

Entering upon its third year, the Committee on Research in the Social Sciences announced Saturday grants of $48,045 for the current academic year for the furtherance of forty projects by members of the faculties of the Departments of History, Government, Economics, Sociology, and Psychology. The Committee was appointed by vote of the Corporation of Harvard University on April 25, 1932, to aid investigations in the social sciences, and was made possible by a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation on April 13, 1932. besides making annual appropriations to faculty members for research in the social sciences, the Committee maintains a statistical laboratory at Harvard for the use of the men doing research under the grants of the Committee. A fund is also provided for the publication of the results of investigations which the Committee has assisted.

Officers of the Committee this year are Charles J. Bullock, Chairman, Professor of Economics; William S. Ferguson, Professor of Ancient and Modern History; Edwin F. Gay, Professor of Economics, History; Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Professor of Government; and Pitirim A. Sorokin, Professor of Sociology. Mrs. Elizabeth W. Gilboy is Secretary of the Committee and is in charge of he statistical laboratory.