Back Bay Provincialism Unaffected by Age of The Telegraph, Telephone, and Special Student

Massachusetts Downs Palestine In One-Sided Statistical Bout, 3063 To 1

The old adage that Boston people, particularly Harvard men, Harvard Dames, and Harvard Square alumni, think that the Middle West begins at Coolidge Corner and that west of Springfield the Indians are still on the rampage seems certainly to be borhe out by the recently released statistics of enrollment.

Indeed if majority rule is a principle backed with any fact at all, the Harvard man attends the Symphony with complete satisfaction, glances at the births, deaths, and engagements in the Transcript each evening, and in general leads a happily sheltered and provincial life.

Out of a total University enrollment of 7733, the codfish state piles up the impressive tally of 3,063 students, leading by a considership margin that not so far distant state, New York which boasts a total of 1293 men. From here the numbers drop suddenly to Pennsy's 395, and then trail off down the list of the outlying territories to Wyoming's four, and New Mexico's three.

In the College, Massachusetts' predominance is still more apparent, and the proportion is here 1792 out of 3559. Among the Graduate Schools the Law School rings the bell with a total of 1451, followed by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences with 794.

But after all, Harvard University has some small claim to cosmopolitanism. If one searches far enough, he will doubtless find, either in Widenor stacks, along Beacon Street, or in Scollay Square, representatives of nearly every nation, reveling in the bracing New England climate. They come and come, from Alaska, from Turkey, and from 33 places situated alphabetically between these two extremes. Numerically Canada heads the list with 48, and the gradient falls away to Palestino's one lone lorn special student.