CONCENTRATED DISTRIBUTION

This afternoon President Conant's Faculty Council will meet to discuss one of its first important problems. The question of Concentration and Distribution of courses has long been considered by many in desperate need of a better solution than that which now exists. A faculty committee, appointed some time ago, has investigated the question and is to present the Council with some proposed changes.

Distribution at present does not seem to provide for the best rounded educational course, and it is with this in mind that the CRIMSON ventures to offer one solution to the vexing problem.

The present science requirement does not seem equipped to give students the proper attitude toward the scientific approach to knowledge. For the non-scientific mind which pretends to call itself an educated one, the proper understanding of the scientific view seems essential. Too many people in the University have little idea of such an attitude, yet they are content in their feeling that since they have taken an elementary course in science they are aware of the scientific method. These elementary courses cannot present to the undergraduate any understanding of such a method, nor should they. It does seem, however, that an understanding of scientific approach is of greater value than the mere factual knowledge of a science as gained in an elementary course. Such factual learning is, perhaps, best taught in secondary schools and should best be kept there. In place of that in the college it would seem wise to institute a requirement which would better give an understanding to the scientific approach to knowledge. Such a course would be a history of science and of the development of scientific thought. For the non-scientific student this course would go much farther toward his understanding of the scientific attitude than the former type. Granted, a comprehension of this view is an exceedingly difficult task, one which has been accomplished by few, but to achieve at least come insight into man's mind as it has progressed through the centuries in its effort to understand the complexities of the life with which he was faced, is possible through this method.

Another subject which remains enveloped in fog to the mass of undergraduates who take it as a requirement is Philosophy. Philosophy A is little short of a boring rule which must be adhered to, containing small interest, having uninspired lectures, and run by men, who to the undergraduates, contain no imagination. Philosophy is a difficult subject at best to teach to undergraduates, but if it could be done through a history of philosophic thought, given interestingly and imaginatively, it probably could be made more palatable to the men who elect it, and it would also give to them some idea of the history of the philosophic attitude toward knowledge and life.

Criticisms to this suggestion are many, granted. But it seems that such a solution is a satisfactory one to one of the most difficult problems of Distribution. Modern thinking is greatly assisted by a scientific approach, and it becomes more apparent daily that such an understanding is not included in the Harvard requirements. Elementary sciences may give one an inkling of scientific method as practiced in the laboratory, but it is doubtful if they do more. A history of scientific thought conveys the true meaning of scientific method. Likewise a history of philosophic thought will give a clearer meaning of philosophy.

To those who feel that this is presuming upon the intelligence of the men at Harvard let it be said that as knowledge and education continue to advance so must the tenets of those educational institutions which foster learning. The primary function of a college is to turn out men educated in the best fashion that it can. There are some who feel that the best methods are those which put out many men with a standard of education which of necessity must be somewhat lower than that of the institution which graduates fewer students. Then there are those who feel that the best methods are those which admit fewer men because of higher standards. Of the two classes the CRIMSON believes in the latter and as such is eager to see at Harvard standards which will continue to graduate men of the highest calibre.

(This is the first of a series of editorials on the system of Concentration and Distribution at Harvard. The second will appear later this week.--Ed.)