Observatory Fails to Find Star Reported in Germany

Check of Photographic Plates Shows No Evidence of "Nova Stella"

A report that a new star has appeared in the sky was sent to the Harvard Observatory Friday by a German astronomer working in Copenhagen, along with the request that the Harvard institution check its old photographs to see if there are on them any evidences of the development of a "Nova Stella."

The most prominent "nova" ever on record was seen by Tycho in 1572, and was as bright as any of the heavenly bodies except the sun and the moon. The "new stars" occur only as the result of the greatest catastrophes that have occurred within the universe in history, explosions within stars, which may increase their brightness 10,000 times. They sometimes become quite bright to the naked eye, but fade from sight as the disturbance subsides. The one seen by Tycho disappeared after six months. Four or five bright ones have been discovered since the turn of the century.

An examination of the plates at the observatory failed to show evidences of the development of a "nova" at the point being observed, so it is doubtful that any will occur there.