HOPPER THINKS JAPAN WINNING CHINA TRADE

Government Professor Offers Views Gathered on Recent Research Trip Through Asiastic Lands

Economic domination is what Japan wants in China. Because her costs of production are practically rock-bottom, by a strong policy of underselling she is bound to destroy the Western market in China and in time achieve that aim.

Such, in brief, was the chief point which Bruce C. Hopper '24, assistant professor of Government, made in his talk "Political Conditions in Asia," delivered to a small group in the common room of Adams House last night.

The description of a trip which he made through Asia last year formed the hitching post to which Professor Hopper connected his facts. From these facts, in turn, he drew conclusions, as in the above case of Japanese policy in China.

The defense program of the Soviets in Eastern Siberia, industrial projects, strategic railway, settlement of veteran soldiers on the frontier, and the possible formation of a Turkey-Persia bloc on the Southern pathway to the Orient formed two other salients which Professor Hopper particularly stressed in his talk.