COPEY TO GIVE ANNUAL READING TO FRESHMEN

December 14 Set as Date for Reading In Union -- 1934 Marks 23rd Time Copey Has Entertained Freshmen

The twenty-first annual Christmas reading of Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, Emeritus, better known to thousands of his admirers all over the world as "Copey," will be given in the small common room of the Freshman Union on Monday, December 17. Only members of the Class of 1936 will be admitter, since the common room will seat no more than 300.

The venerable Copey, one of the better known of Harvard's traditions, has given a reading in the Union just before the Christmas recess each year since the building opened. Last year he read selections from the Bible, Thackeray, Kipling, Stephen Leacock, and Robert Benchley '12, one of his former students, to an enthusiastic crowd of Freshmen.

Although forced to move his residence this fall from Hollis 15, a room made famous by his twenty years of residence there, because of doctors' orders, the 72-year old professor has announced his intention of continuing his readings in the Union until he is well past the 100-year mark.

Renovation of Hollis 15 has put an end to the pilgrimages of famous authors, many of them former students of his, to the classic shrine and sanctuary of Copey. But the tradition is perpetuated by the Charles Townsend Copeland Association, with members all over the world.