LANE LIKELY TO START AT GUARD ON SATURDAY

GROWING CERTAINTY THAT 1937 BACKS WILL START

Judging by the lineups yesterday it's the guards and not the backs that may be subject to change without notice this Saturday. Bill Lane, Bob Brookings, and Frank Schumann are all just about on a par for a job at left guard, and there's not much doubt but that all three will be given a chance against West Point.

Brookings had the edge until his injury, but while he has been on the bench Lane has been coming up fast and is now at least his equal as far as being a possible starter is concerned. In fact it rather looks as if Lane will have the call when the whistle blows three days hence.

Moving Inland

The curious situation about Lane is that he started his life on the Varsity as a tackle, and remained as such until after the third game of the season. Then Adam Walsh decided that there were plenty of tackles and not enough guards, so Mr. Lane moved inland.

Brookings is all right now and has been practicing regularly. Naturally he wants his job back, but Lane is arguing the point with a fair amount of success. In the meantime Schumann, who was just a bit off his game for a while earlier in the year, seems to have solved his difficulties and is right back in form.

Schumann Improves

A year ago Schumann would have been a regular if he hadn't had tough luck with an injury. This fall his long stretch without much contact work resulted in a slow start which he has only overcome within the last couple of weeks. Hitherto he has ranked below the other two, but West Point may give him his chance to get back at the top of the ladder.

As for the other doubtful sector, the backfield, conviction is growing stronger every day that Casey will start and all-Sophomore unit composed of Bilodeau, Ford, Ecker, and Blackwood. That combination worked out with the "A" line again yesterday, and everything points to it for opening honors. Little Bill Parquette, the possible alternate at left half and pass expert extraordinary, was given a full stretch of services yesterday but did not run through signals with the Sophomore combine