HAMILTON FISH URGES SELECTION OF LITTLE FOR FOOTBALL COACH

SUGGESTS FORMER PLAYERS AID H.A.A. ON POLICY

Urging the selection of Lou Little to succeed Eddie Casey as head football coach, Hamilton Fish, Jr. '10, former football captain, and United States Representative, has written the CRIMSON that he advises Harvard to follow the example of Princeton, Columbia, Holy Cross, and Southern California in developing a winning team.

Mr. Fish is also anxious to see closer graduate supervision of football policies. He advocates the appointment of a former captain to "the committee in charge of Harvard athletics" and the formation of an advisory committee of four or five former players.

The letter follows: December 8, 1934.

Editor Harvard CRIMSON,

Cambridge,

Mass.

"As a former Harvard football player I am taking the liberty of writing you my views on the football situation which are somewhat similar to those expressed by me a few days ago, in a communication to William Bingham, Director of Harvard Athletics.

"As one who until recently has op- posed any other than Harvard graduates to act as head coach, I have been compelled by force of circumstances to make an about face and to recommend now the selection of a type of head football coach such as Fritz Crisler at Princeton. If Lou Little is available for head coach at Harvard I strongly urge his appointment. I am familiar with his work at Georgetown, where he developed some really great teams. His record at Columbia speaks for itself. Harvard needs an experienced and successful coach. If we cannot win some of our major games with graduate coaches, we had better follow the example of Princeton, Columbia. Holy Cross, Southern California, and most other colleges and get the best coaches available.

"May I also suggest that at least one former Harvard football player, more particularly some former captain living in Boston, be appointed as a member of the committee in charge of Harvard Athletics. I would further suggest that an Advisory Committee of three or five former Varsity players, a majority of whom should come from Boston or vicinity be created to confer, advise with and recommend football policies to Bill Bingham, who is already overwhelmed with his other duties.

"I am sure that I represent practically the unanimous sentiment of former Harvard players that the traditions, spirit, and objectives of Harvard football would be best served and perpetuated if former football players had at least some voice in controlling the future destiny of Harvard football such as they have at Yale, Princeton Dartmouth, and other college's and universities.  Hamilton Fish, Jr