RECORDS FALL AS FAST VARSITY SWIMMERS WIN

Columbia Defeated 49-32; Stowell and Leventritt Make New Low Times in Back and Breast Stroke

Caught in the wake of a fast Crimson team, the Columbia swimmers found themselves on the short end of a 49-22 score Saturday night, after the best meet seen in the Indoor Athletic Building Pool this year. Captain Ed Stowell and Vic Leventritt provided two of the many thrills of the evening when both of them lowered their records to close to the pool marks.

Closest event of the meet was the fifty in which George Scott came through to beat Eugene Jennings, the Lion sprint flash, by a matter of inches. Another close race was between Ed Devereux and Tom Wright, in the furlong, which the latter finally won by only a few feet. In the quarter-mile, however, the Columbia swimmer had an easy time of it.

This year's relay, not the deciding factor of the meet as was the case last year, was settled when Herb Howe, swimming number two man, gave the home team a five-yard advantage.

The summary:

150-yard backstroke swim--Won by Edward E. Stowell '34; second, Richard T. Fisher, Jr. '36; third, Mulcahy (C). Time--1 min., 41 sec. (Betters Harvard record.)

200-yard breast stroke--Won by Marion V. Leventritt '35; second, Anderson C. Dearing, Jr. '34; third, Patterson (C). Time--2 min., 35 2-5 sec. (Betters Harvard record.)