REGISTRATION FOR SPEAKING CONTESTS ENDS FEBRUARY 26

In First Trials Ten Best Men Will Be Chosen--Selections May Be in Latin, Greek, or English

All men who intend to compete for the Boylston or Lee Wade prizes must submit their selections to Frederick C. Packard '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking, for approval before Monday, February 26, it was announced by Professor Packard yesterday. Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores who are in good standing are eligible to compete for the first and second prizes of $50 and the third and fourth prizes of $35.

The preliminary trials will be held Wednesday, March 14, and will be judged by members of the English department, and the instructors in public speaking. Ten men will be selected to speak in the finals which will be held Wednesday, March 28. Competitors must be prepared to deliver a memorized selection of five to seven minutes in length. Deliveries may be in Latin, Greek, or English, but need not necessarily be taken from early writers and Professor Packard warns against choosing passages from such authors as Shakespeare because of the unsuccessful results in past years. Selections used in the final competition of the last three years may not be used this year.

The Boylston Prize is the third oldest in the University, having been founded in 1817 by Ward Nicholas Boylston in memory of his uncle, who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory, now held by Charles Townsend Copeland '32. The Lee Wade Prize was established in 1915 in honor of Lee Wade, II, of the Class of 1914.