GREENOUGH HANDS IN RESIGNATION AS DUNSTER MASTER

Head Tutor Out After Four Years With House--Friedrich, Haring, or Addison May Succeed Greenough

Feeling that the press of House duties was too much for his health which has been in poor condition during the past year, Chester N. Greenough '98, professor of English has tendered his resignation to President Conant as Master of Dunster House. It was learned late yesterday. At the same time it was revealed that R. Gale Noyes, instructor in English, had also handed in his resignation as Head Tutor.

Mr. Greenough who has been suffering from minor illnesses throughout the fall underwent an operation during the Christmas Vacation and it is understood that he feels it would be unwise for him to continue his duties as Master of the House.

Noyes, who has served as Head Tutor ever since the original organization, has played an active part in the operation of the House. When reached at a late hour last night Noyes had no comment to make on his resignation and would not reveal his future plans.

Mr. Greenough is not giving up any of his courses and at present has no intentions of resigning from the Faculty of the University, but merely feels that the work of the House Mastership is an additional strain at this time. His resignation marks the first break in the original list of seven men who were chosen at the beginning of the House Plan. Assuming the position in 1930 he was, with Julian L. Coolidge '95, professor of Mathematics, the first to hold the position of House Master in the University.

No man has as yet been appointed to succeed Mr. Greenough, but it is understood that Arthur N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government, James T. Addison '09, professor of the History of Religions and Missions and one-time acting Master of Kirkland House, Clarence H. Haring '07, professor of Latin-American History and Economics and one-time acting Master of Kirkland House, Clarence H. Haring '07, professor of Latin-American History and Economics and one-time acting Master of Eliot House, and Carl J. Friedrich, associate professor of Government, have been prominently mentioned for the post.