NORMAN THOMAS SPEECH CHANGED TO THURSDAY

Well Known Socialist Leader To Talk At 3 O'Clock in New Lecture Hall on The New Deal

Norman Thomas, famous Socialist leader and nominee for many government offices, will be unable to speak as scheduled tonight, it was announced by the Harvard Liberal Club. Detained in New York on account of business, Mr. Thomas said that he would be in Boston on Thursday, and offered to speak at any time then. It was decided to have the talk at 3 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall. The talk will be given under the auspices of the Liberal Club, with Arthur N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government, presiding.

The subject of Mr. Thomas' speech will be "The First Year of the New Deal." It is expected that he will discuss the monopolistic tendencies of the New Deal, and will point out that wages which were minimum under the codes have become maximum through practice. Beside taking up the industrial legislation, Mr. Thomas will talk on the agricultural legislation, and will outline the philosophy of the New Deal.

Mr. Thomas' last appearance at Harvard was in 1932 when he spoke here as part of his campaign for the Presidency. He is now engaged on a speaking tour of the country. The speech on Thursday will be given from the viewpoint of an impartial observer of the workings of the recovery administration. His previous speeches here were concerned with the Socialist side of the question involved. Thursday's speech will be open to members of the student body and Faculty of the University.