Roosevelt Is Certain to be Reelected in 1936 if Only One-Half His Projects Succeed, Says Hill

No Threat of Socialism Seen in Liberal Legislation Now Being Put Into Effect

"If Roosevelt succeeds in bringing to head only 50 per cent of the projects such he has started in the first year his term, he is sure to be reelected in 36," said Edwin C. Hill, noted news writer and radio talker, in an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday. "At present he is the number one here in the United States, and with any luck he should hold is position until after the at elections.

There have been objections against the rather socialistic trends which the government has been following, but I don't think there is any serious threat in this. True, the American Federation of Labor has been greatly strengthened in the past year and the redistribution of money has been hinted at and partially put into effect by the devaluation of the dollar, but in the end the effect will only be for more liberalism, not for salaams or communism. Several good things will eventually come from the legislation which is made possible by the strong public support which the administration is getting at present, such as child labor laws, higher pay, and better control of financial speculation.

"Roosevelt has made some mistakes and he will undoubtedly make more. But in his own words he is like a quarter back on the football team who has to get the ball down the field in some way or other, whether it be over, under, around, or through the opponents,' Nothing will be accomplished by standing still, and he is obliged to use a policy of trial and error. His action on the airmail question was obviously wrong, but this was an impetuous move. Roosevelt had had reports from inspectors that the air transport companies were practising all sorts of fraud in the way of putting heavy stones in the mail sacks and weighing them three or four times, and his natural hate of anything underhanded led him to make a move which has had drastic results. Eventually, he will lead the country out of its present difficulties.

"The people of the United States have followed all of the policies of the New Deal with great interest. In fact the country as a whole has changed in its attitude. The flapper age has gone, and in its place has come a desire for romance; they are sympathetic with anything which is done for other people."