WILLIAM WATTS IS ELECTED VARSITY HOCKEY CAPTAIN

Former Assistant Receives the Chief Managerial Job--New Men Chosen at Meeting of Lettermen

William Pepper Watts '35, of Elkin's Park, Pennsylvania, was elected captain of the Varsity hockey team for next season at a meeting of the lettermen yesterday. Watts prepared for Harvard at New Prep. At the same time, Howard Frank Gillette, Jr. '35, of Chicago, Illinois, became Varsity hockey manager. Gillette automatically assumes the office, having been assistant manager this year. He prepared at St. Mark's.

Playing left defense for two years, Watts has been one of the most dependable and valuable players on the team. He paired up with Dick Dow this season and they have played a consistently good game, greatly aiding Paul deGive, veteran goalie and retiring captain. Watts scored one of the Harvard goals in the final battle with Yale, which the Crimson sextet lost in overtime, 5-4, and his play in the first two contests with the Eli team was outstanding.

The new captain played on the Freshman hockey team in 1932 and was a regular defenseman. Last year he won a Varsity job and remained in the first-string lineup throughout the season, scoring a goal in the second game of the Yale series. He is 22 years old, weighs 165 pounds, and is six feet, one inch tall.

Gillette won the Freshman hockey managerial competition in 1932, and since then has become second assistant manager of the sextet. He will receive a major letter next year, along with the members of the team.