THE THREE YEAR COURSE

Although Harvard has steadily decreased the number of courses required for a degree since the advent of the tutorial system, University Hall has made no effort whatever to lighten the burden of those few men in each class who seek to complete their work in three years.

The student who works the regular full four years for a degree is required to take fifteen courses in addition to English A, but if he is a candidate for Honors this requirement can be reduced to thirteen courses and Dean Hanford in his recent Annual Report recommended the advisability of even further reduction. On the other hand, the student who graduates in three years, whether a candidate for Honors or not, must take sixteen full courses plus English A. Course reduction is granted on the theory that increased amount of time will be devoted to tutorial work. On the same theory a three-year graduate receives no course reduction, because it is felt that he will necessarily spend less time on tutorial work. It should be considered, however, that the amount of time he spends on tutorial work, regardless of course requirements, is conditioned by the fact that he must take the same Divisional Examinations as all other students in his field and probably write an Honors thesis as well.

It has been felt that to lighten requirements for those who graduate in three years would encourage departure from the normal four-year standard. However, those who seek a three-year degree at the present time do so only for special reasons, and a slight relaxation of requirements would probably not increase this small number. Students seeking a degree in three years do nearly as much tutorial work as all other students and take courses equally advanced. To make possible for the course reduction that all others receive, with fifteen courses required for a degree and possible remission of one course during the third year for Honors candidates, would be to lighten their burden without lessening the advantages of a four-year college course. With the tutorial system and Divisional Examinations well established, it is as futile to judge a student's education by the number of courses taken as by the calendar time spent in tutorial work.