HARVARD WILL NOT SEEK FEDERAL AID LOWES ANNOUNCES

Extra Employment Appropriations Are Deemed Sufficient To Satisfy All Next Year's Needs

Harvard will not apply for Federal Emergency Relief Administration appropriations to aid needy students, it was announced today by John W. Lowes '26, Financial Vice-President of the University. The decision came after a discussion of the question at the meeting of the Board of Overseers held this week.

The decision "not to apply for an allotment" was taken because it was felt that the appropriations already made by the University "would be sufficient to take care of any demand from those who would fall within the restrictions of the federal government." The College has added to its funds for scholarships and other student aids in several ways, the most important of these being a substantial appropriation for student employment within the College this year. As announced last week, it is planned to continue this program in 1934-35.

The C.W.A. has made these appropriations available to colleges and universities in order that needy students may continue in college for the balance of the academic year. The administrator is Harry Hopkins. The average amount of these allotments is fifteen dollars per student for those students who cannot continue in college without it. Another provision is that only such students who do high-grade work are eligible for the allotment. All those receiving grants will have to work for a definite period of time each week on some intramural job.

One of the original provisions of the grants was that the universities should cancel the tuition fees of all recipients of the grants. This provision was later removed however, because of the strenuous opposition shown to it by privately endowed institutions.