HOCKEY TEAM BOWS TO ELI SIX AT GARDEN, 3-1

Over-Eagerness Spoils Chances For Harvard Victory--Watts, Dow Shine on Defense

Yale fulfilled its threat of setting the Crimson in its place when its flashy sextet whipped an eager Harvard team by a score of 3-1 before 8000 wild fans in the Boston Garden last Saturday night. But it the same time it revealed that although the Bulldog may attack savagely it intervals, the Crimson outfit notwithstanding has the punch to tame him once it gets together.

Play Rough and Rapid

Throughout the evening the play swept up and down the ice, with the two teams being extremely evenly matched. In spite of its advantage in being the faster club, however, the Crimson seemed unable to take advantage of all the opportunities which were presented. On the other hand, Yale capitalized practically all its chances, and certainly received the breaks for the evening. Play was hard and fast during the entire contest, while both teams displayed for the most part as excellent brand of hockey. During the first period especially, Ray Townshend in the Yale net was called upon to make many spectacular saves as the Crimson club intermittently put on the foil pressure of a five-man offensive. Captain Paul deGive of Harvard came through with his usual stellar type of goal tending.

The Crimson first-string defense combination of Bill Watts and Dick Dow exhibited evidence of the rapid improvement that it has made in the last few games. The pair is much more sure of itself than formerly, and Dow managed to get off a few rather nice little body checks. It now appears that the points position ceases to be a major problem is the efficiency of Harvard's hockey machine. In addition, Art Choate and John Ware proved capable reserves.

The summary: HARVARD  YALE Hasler, Hovenanian, Duffey, l.w.  r.w., Cooke, Robinson, Pillsbury Moseley, Holmes, Dewey, c.  c., E. Mills, R. Shepard, Stoddard, C. Mills Beale, Hallowell, Callaway, r.w.  l.w., Colby, Rodd, Wilmerding Watts, Choate, l.d.  r.d., Robson, Herrick Dow, Ware, r.d.  l.d., Gilligan deGive, Mittell, g.  g., Townshend

Score--Yale 3, Harvard 1. Goals--First period: Hasler (Moseley) (7.29). Second period: R. Shepard (Robinson-Rodd) (7.27), R. Shepard (18.22). Third period: Cooke (Robinson) (18.16). Penalties--First period: Robson (tripping), Stoddard (tripping), Gilligan (tripping), Gilligan (interference). Second period: Low (leg check), Robson (tripping), Watts (tripping), Wilmerding (charging), Robson (slashing). Third period: C. Mills (board check), Dow (hooking), Hasler (handling the puck), Beale (handling the puck), Robinson (holding). Referees--Cleary and Foley. Time--Three 20-minute periods.