BASEBALL NINE HOLDS THIRD OUTDOOR DRILL

OPPONENTS HAVE STRONG TEAM OF VETERANS

Baseball, king of the summer sports, comes out of its winter duress this week when the Crimson nine opens its season against Boston University on Soldiers Field Wednesday afternoon. The trip to New York, during which the team was to have met Columbia and Pennsylvania, ended in two cancellations and gave the boys only a good train ride for their pains.

Coach Mitchell had his men working out yesterday in the third outdoor practice of the season. Twice last week he sent them through their paces on the Freshman diamond, but yesterday was the first time that they reached their regular field.

Juggling Infield

He is still juggling his infield to find the best combination, but chose Adzigian at third, Woodruff at short, Fitzpatrick at second, and Nevin at first base as his Number One outfit yesterday. The second infield had Higgins at third, Hovenanian at short, Hayes at second, and Franny Gleason at first. It isn't at all certain that either one of these combinations will remain intact for the first game. The likeliest choice seems to be Adzigian, Woodruff, Hayes, and Gleason, judging by the way they worked yesterday.

Boston University is bringing up a veteran nine composed of all letter men and will try to repeat their 10-8 victory of last year. Both teams have been held up by the late spring and Coach Mitchell was further handicapped by the temporary loss of Nevin and Gleason by injuries. Gleason seems to have come along faster than Nevin, whose arm still bothers him. Because of Nevin's hitting ability Mitchell has been trying him out at almost every position on the team, and is sure to find a spot for him on Wednesday. The former catcher was hitting them far and wide in the batting practice yesterday.