WAR HANGOVERS

To the Average college student, there is something strangely childish about the War-debt controversies. The stupidity of the Johnson Bill, forbidding Americans to lend money to nations that have defaulted on their obligations tote United State, is at once apparent to the disinterested observer. The recent decision of the State Department that if England continues to make only taken payments, who must be included among the defaulters, means precisely that all loans to Great Britain whether national or private are a crime against the Federal Government.

Almost sixteen years ago the Armistice was signed. Before very long, a new generation will be taking over the reins of power the world over. Is there any sense in letting an agreement made when the war was still in the minds of every man and woman continue to create bitterness among peoples who have no real quarrel with each other? The jealousy and distrust with which defaulting nations are coming to regard the United States is most unfortunate. To the youth of America is seems unfair that one of the latent causes of future wars is nothing more than a lack of agreement between nations as to the settlement of the "fruits" of the last. The college student of today is conscious of the World War only as on historical paradox. Even those of us who lost relatives in that futile struggle have long since ceased to nurse any rancour, other than that arising from the misery and despair we see all round us, for which we must hold our elders responsible. We have no bone to pick with other peoples, so long as they let us live our lives in peace.

Assuredly the government of the United States has a responsibility towards those who will eventually constitute the nation. If the government permits so stupid a controversy as that over the war-debts to blacken America in the eyes of the world, thus paving the way for possible future strife, it will more than deserve the increasing distrust with which its policies are being watched by American students.