FACULTY MEMBERS BACK COMMITTEE'S PROTEST ATTEMPT

Committee Sends Letters to Hultman And Mayor Mansfield to Protest Police Roughness

Statements from several professors, among them Arthur N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government; Zechariah Chafee, professor of Law, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology; and Ralph Barton Perry, Chairman of the Department of Philosophy, rallied to the cause of the Committee formed to protest the police tactics during the demonstration in City Square last Thursday.

Chairman Raymond Dennett '36, of the committee made perfectly clear in his statement on the formation of the committee Saturday evening that it was neither Anti-Nazi or Pro-Communist in sympathies, but was merely concerned with the action of the police in the matter and the possibilities of securing a fair trial for the defendants.

Other members of the committee are Thomas B. O'Connor '35, George B. Edwards 1G, Victor H. Kramer '35, O. F. Ingram '35, and Herman Walker 1G. Dennett announced that several members of the committee were planning to call on Commissioner 'Hultman today if an audience could be secured and lodge a formal protest.

Professors Lend Support

The professors in their statements to Chairman Dennett gave their whole-hearted support to the program which had been outlined. They urged that Harvard students rally to the support of the accused men and deplored the "show of temper and unnecessary roughness" of the police.

Following the receipt of the approbation of several members of the Faculty, Chairman Dennett declared that he was encouraged with the "sympathetic and active interest" and that letters were being sent to Commissioner Hultman, Mayor Mansfield, and others protesting the actions of the police.

Professor Holcombe's Statement

Professor Holcombe in his statement said: "I hope that Harvard men will follow the trial of the three Harvard students with close attention. The charge of 'inciting to riot' against these students seems to be wholly in conflict with the evidence. They are entitled to whatever support is necessary from Havard men to secure them prompt acquittal."

Professor Chafee declared himself in agreement with Professor Holcombe and signified his support of the cause.

Professor Mather said: "This is not a question of a few scatter-brained radicals making a demonstration; it is something far more serious than that. I am thoroughly in agreement with the program, and I think that it deserves the attention and cooperation of all Harvard students."

Professor Perry's Statement

Professor Perry gave his support in the following terms: "So far as I could gather from eyewitnesses of the unfortunate affair at Charlestown, the police used excessive violence and little discrimination in handling a crowd made up almost wholly of innocent by standers or of persons present for the purpose of peaceful demonstration Quite apart from the legal rights of the individual concerned, which should be most scrupulously safeguarded. I believe that a show of temper and or unnecessary roughness by the police tended to induce that very spirit of lawlessness which it was designed to suppress.