CAUSA BELLI

When one is faced with an emergency, it is often difficult to pursue a thoughtful course and measures may be adopted which appear the next day to be ill-advised and lacking in justice. This was the case last Thursday when nearly 200 police prevented a demonstration against the Nazi cruiser "Karlsruhe."

The NSL announced its intention of staging a protest with several communist organization against Hitler. It was the purpose of the hastily-formed anti-NSL to break up the meeting. Had these two bodies ever come face to face, not only they, but the other demonstrators and possibly the marines might have met in an engagement which would have rapidly degenerated into la riot. Certainly there have been instances both in this country and abroad to show the dangers which are latent in a mob. To forestall this eventuality the police were instructed to prevent any gathering from taking place. So, whenever a group gathered, in the streets, the police first told them to move on, and then rode their horses up on the sidewalk. Naturally, some of the methods were rather brutal land some unjust arrests were made. No one was, however, obligated to come to City Square and certainly no one was required to stay; indeed, it should be remembered that one's presence at such a meeting necessarily involves some risk. It cannot be denied that the main purpose was achieved; no demonstration was staged, and in spite of force there were only minor injuries.

Thus even if the findings of the new Committee prove conclusively that individuals were cruelly treated, and they probably will, it was the most practical way to break up the meeting. Although earlier reports seemed to indicate that unmitigated brutality was unnecessarily put to use, further investigation shows that these methods were used to prevent the dangers of an unmanageable demonstration. Of course they were unfortunate, but a riot would have subjected the police to even more virulent criticism. Viewed in this light one finds less grounds for the Committee to protest against police methods at the meeting. They might well keep in mind that Harvard must assume its share of the blame for these occurrences. Only if the rumors of police brutality inside the station turn out to be true or if those arrested do not get a fair trial is there ground for justifiable criticism. To this end the Committee should devote itself.