R. FRASE GRANTED LOWENSTEIN AWARD FOR YEAR 1934-'35

To Go Into Public Service After Year's Work in Cambridge and Another in Field Work.

Robert W. Frase, of Madison, Wis., senior at the University of Wisconsin and an honor student in economics, has been chosen as the first recipient of the $1,200 M. Fred Lowenstein Fellowship, giving him one year of graduate study at Harvard and an additional year of practical field work in preparation for a life of public service. He is interested in the relation of economics to government.

The fellowship, an unusual experiment in American education, was established this spring by an anonymous donor in memory of M. Fred Lowenstein '32. The trustees are Carl J. Friedrich and Rupert Emerson, associate and assistant professor of government, and Paul M. Herzog, former tutor in government and now a member of the national labor board in Washington.

Will Study At Harvard

A holder of the fellowship takes one year of intensive study at Harvard in preparation for any branch of public service, and then takes one year of field work, under the guidance of the trustees. The field work places the man in la suitable city in the employ of some expert who is sympathetic with the plan and who directs the fellowship holder in learning practical phases of his specialty.

Forty students of high rank in their respective colleges applied for the fellowship. Among the institutions represented were Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Wisconsin, Duke, Antioch, Oberlin, Columbia, Cornell, Wesleyan, and the U. S. Naval Academy. Fifteen applicants were from Harvard.

Frase Studied At Experimental College

Frase took his first two years of college work in the Experimental College, formerly headed by Alexander Meikle ted the Committee to make a report in writing and have the statements sworn before a Notary Public.

Superintendent King promised that the report would be investigated and that if the charges seemed to warrant if a hearing would be held on the matter.

Acting on the advice of the Superintendent, the Committee get busy gathering statements and before the evening was over had collected witnessed statements from nearly ten students. The statement from the Committee last night declared that it was only against the brutality of the police that the protest was registered and that if demanded the dismissal of officers responsible for this brutality.

The Committee expects to add to their list of signed statements today and also to obtain photographs taken by spectators at the scene. If hopes to contact students from Technology who were among those picked up on the charge of "inciting to riot."

A formal protest of the whole affair will be lodged with Governor Joseph R. Ely and with the protest will be included the signed statements of the happenings in Charlestown, in the hope of securing action along this line. The protest to Governor Ely will also include the demand that policemen responsible for the brutality dismissed immediate.

Some of the stories to the Committee revealed starting roughness on the part of the police. Eyewitness told of persons crowded to the will to horses, of small children knocked down