SULZBERGER WINS LLOYD GARRISON PRIZE FOR POETRY

Harrison Receives Prize for Essay on Dante--Mathematical Papers Capture Awards

Cyrus Leo Sulzberger '34, former President of the "Advocate," has captured the coveted Lloyd McKim Garrison Poetry Prize of $175 and a silver medal for his poem, "The Red Land," it was announced yesterday. The award was made to Sulzberger who comes from New York City after a faculty committee had judged the work of the many entries. Honorable mention was given to an athlete, James Parton '34, last year's cross-country captain, for "Hic Jacet Harvard."

The winners of five other competitions, varying from pulpit delivery to mathematics, have also been made known. All the recipients are students either at the Graduate School or at the Divinity School.

John Wallace Finch 1G, of Mount Vernon, New York, has won the Harvard Monthly Prize of $50 for the student in the most advanced course in English composition who shows the greatest literary promise.

Coleman Herpel 2G, of McKeesport, Indiana and Walter Leighton, Jr. 2G, of South Bend, Indiana have won the prizes of $25 each for the best papers before the Mathematical Club during the academic year.

Danto Prize

William Edward Harrison 2G., of Roxbury, Mass., has won the Dante Prize of $25 for the best essay by a student in any department of the University or by a graduate of not more than three years' standing, on a subject drawn from the life of Dante. His essay was entitled, "Dante's Mantle, the Meaning of Dante in Our Time."

Howard L. Brooks 3D., of Cambridge, won the first Billings Prize for improvement in Pulpit Speaking. Edward T. Clapp 3Dv., of Springfield, and Clarence L. Daughterty, Jr. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania won the second and third Billings Prizes.

Edward T. Clapp 3Dv., of Springfield, won the Francis Boott Prize in Music of $100 for the best composition in concerted vocal music.