NOW IS THE TIME

Having completed the task of selecting courses and handing in study cards, over one thousand bewildered Freshmen start this morning the arduous routine outlined for them. The great majority, if they follow the tradition of their predecessors, will give no serious thought to a selection of a field of concentration until required to do so late in the spring.

But if these neophytes are desirous of avoiding the hasty consideration of special fields of interest with the resultant disappointment and chagrin that so often follows last minute decisions, they will begin now to consider where their particular interest lies before urged to do so by University Hall bureaucrats. Harassed by distribution and language requirements the average Freshman gives little thought to concentration until these are successfully met. In many instances, which the Freshman may observe among unenthusiastic upperclassmen, fields of concentration are selected without much previous analysis of a student's own aptitudes or a knowledge of that with which the subject selected is intimately concerned. Long before Spring rolls around the Freshman should consult with his adviser about the different fields of concentration and avail himself of every opportunity to learn more about them from upperclassmen. As he does his routine labor for his courses he should be constantly alert for any special attraction which any one subject seems to have for him. Such an interest should be examined carefully and the student might consider whether or not he would like to pursue it more profoundly and in greater detail.

If a Freshman follows such a procedure and is constantly searching for subjects which interest him he will not be likely to select a field of concentration which will later prove uninteresting and dull. By the time it is necessary to make a decision he will have definite reasons to guide his choice and will not have to trust to intuition or chance.