Henry W. Abbot, Prominent Ornithologist, Dies, Aged 72

Member of Class of '86, Well Known for Paintings of Water Fowl

Henry W. Abbot '86, prominent ornithologist and sportsman, died at Yarmouthpert on Tuesday. Mr. Abbot, who was a member of the Hasty Pudding and of the D.K.E. clubs while in college, was widely known as an observer of wild life.

He was for many years a State bird observer and was one of the first sportsmen to recognize the possibilities of the Cape for duck shooting, doing much to popularize the sport around Boston. In his younger days he was well known for his painting of wild life and especially noted for his pictures of water fowl both of which have been on exhibition in many places in the last 30 years.

A members of the Natural History Society of New York he was also one of the pioneer members of the Audubon Society and was instrumental in the popularization of its work and in the widening of its scope having been associated with it since its earliest days. For the last thirty years he had made his home at Yarmouthpert coming to Boston less and less frequently as the years went by.