VARSITY LINEUP IS SHIFTED AS CASEY SEEKS FIRST TEAM

Coaches Turn Scouts; Leave for West Point, Dartmouth, and Holy Cross On Saturday

Despite the heat Coach Eddie Casey continued experimenting with his Varsity grid squad yesterday in an attempt to find the right combination to tackle Bates in the season opener. The Varsity's performance was a bit off the high point set in Tuesday's session, thanks probably to the thermometer's serial activities.

In the "A" lineup Casey tried the combine of George Ford at quarter back, Mac McTernan at full, Fuller at right half, and Don Jackson at left half. This quartet was behind the line when the 35-minute scrimmage started. George Hedblom took Fuller's place half-way through the battle and with Jackson provided the more cheerful aspects of the day. On the Jayvees, Dana Hardwick took top honors by turning in an exhibition that made him look pretty close to Varsity calibre.

A good many of the regulars spent the afternoon on the sidelines trying to argue the managers into giving them a drink of water, which didn't please Trainer Eddie Farrell at all. However, with the injured list coming along nicely, nearly all should see action in the scrimmage scheduled for tomorrow. There will be no practice on Saturday as the coaching staff will be on its way to watch Dartmouth, Army, and Holy Cross in action. Bates will not be scouted.

The starting "A" lineup was: Geer, le; Spring, lt; Young, lg; Comfort, c; Blatchford, rg; Burton, rt; Knapp, re; Ford, qb; Jackson, lhb; Fuller, rhb; McTernan, fb.