A SUCCESSFUL EXPERIMENT

When a Freshman arrives at Harvard, he is apt to be rather puzzled at the status which the Cooperative Society occupies in college life. To find a store which does not include profit-making in its motives except for its customers and which includes members of the Faculty and undergraduates on its board of directors is an unusual experiment. And yet again this year the Coop announces a profit of $56,000 which it will distribute to those persons who have used their services.

Each year, however, there are many persons who suspect that they smell a rat. This thought, which is largely inspired by the higher range of prices at the store, is raging at high heat this year as a price war seems ready to start in the Square. It is well to examine the setup before one adopts such an idea. Control of policy rats in the hands of the stockholders who include several graduates. These men receive no remuneration for their services. In addition there is an active board of directors, made up from members of the Faculty and undergraduate representatives, who hold several meetings during the course of the year to approve of measures which have been adopted. They are in closer contact with the organization As a result, the Coop has existed for the benefit of Harvard men. Its prices may be high, but they have assured satisfactory treatment.

It is true that the Coop has achieved sufficient prestige to give it a powerful position among Harvard Square merchants. Nevertheless it has won this position through honest dealing with its customers. That such an organization does possess influence has had a healthy effect on the Square, and should continue to exercise it. While criticism is necessary for any business the validity of it must be borne out by facts.