TRUTH AS END IN ITSELF SHOULD BE AIM, SAYS CONANT

Address Before New Graduate School Men Stresses Importance of Flair For Certain Subject.

Declaring that as long as members of university faculties continue to be motivated by the passionate search for truth, it is certain that the public will not withdraw its support, President Conant said in a welcome to students of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at a meeting held in the faculty room of University Hall last night.

Chase Chairman

Chairman of the meeting was George H. Chase '96, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; other speakers were Walter B. Briggs, assistant librarian, Alfred Worcester '78, Henry K. Oliver professor of hygiene, and William C. Graustein '09, professor of mathematics.

After his welcome of the newcomers President Conant said that in many ways the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is the keystone of a university, in that here are developed the men who will teach the coming generations.

Man Needs Fair

Partially as a warning he went on to say that the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences differs peculiarly from every other part of the university. In the other schools, given a normal mentality, by diet of hard work one is almost certain to get a degree. Here this does not hold good. Even with work and an average mentality, unless one has a flair for the subject, one may have to drop out.

Professor Graustein attacked the charge, which is widely subscribed to, that the universities are not fitting graduates to meet the highly specialized problems in social science which are confronting the world of today and argued that in the past a good, well-rounded education has proved more efficacious in advancing world progress than a highly specialized training.