ENTIRE BUCKLEY FUND AWARDED SAYS HANFORD

Misunderstanding Arises Since Part of Endowment Is Used for Cambridge Aid Grants

To clear up misunderstandings which may have arisen in connection with Thursday's editorial on Cambridge aid, Dean Hanford yesterday issued a statement concerning the Cambridge Scholarships under the Buckley and Cambridge funds.

"There is no discrimination against residents of Cambridge," he said. "On the contrary, such students are entitled to and receive special consideration in so far as the Buckley Fund is reserved especially for them. For the present year, every Freshman who needed financial help and who applied for so-called Cambridge Aid has been awarded assistance from the Buckley Fund either in the form of a scholarship if his record was high enough to warrant it or otherwise as an aid.

"Every upper-classman who applied for a Buckley Scholarship and who is eligible on the basis of need and the Dean's list standing has been awarded such a scholarship. Each year in the past every dollar from the Buckley Fund allotted to Harvard College has been awarded by mid-years."

The misunderstanding has arisen since the Buckley Fund and Cambridge Aid, which have been listed separately in the catalogue, overlap each other. Each year a certain sum of money is alloted from the Buckley Fund to Cambridge Aid. Steps have been taken to show the relation clearly between the two grants; and the new scholarship catalogue bears them as the Cambridge Buckley fund and the Buckley Scholarships.