THE CLASSICS DISCARDED

Pointing out the uselessness of requiring a student to secure an elementary knowledge of a modern language, President Conant suggests, in his annual report, the abolition of this practice and the requirement of a reading knowledge either of French or German. The wisdom of discarding an elementary knowledge of a language, in view of its worthlessness as a tool for research or appreciation of a literature, cannot be questioned. Why the Classics should no longer be required or allowed to be substituted for a modern language is not so evident.

A reading knowledge of Latin or Greek, in some fields of learning, may prove valuable as an instrument for furthering research. Further an ability to read either of these opens wide vistas for the appreciation of a literature that has endured all ravages of time. Certainly these advantages cannot be brushed aside lightly. In certain phases of history, in a study of the history of literature, in philosophy, and in the history of science a reading knowledge of Latin or Greek would be a valuable asset to a student interested in the growth of ideas on these subjects. The fact that some students, however few, may find a knowledge of the Classics worthwhile, if not essential, should be reason enough to allow such a knowledge to fulfill the language requirements.

Having recognized the uselessness of the elementary language requirement lot the University abolish it. But in requiring a reading ability the administration should not neglect the importance or usefulness of the Classics. French, German, Latin, or Greek should be the option.