OBSERVATORY HAS 50TH ANNIVERSARY ON FRIDAY

EXPERIMENTAL STATION W1XW TO BROADCAST ON 5 METERS

To celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Blue Hall Meteorological Observatory on Friday, an informal luncheon and a program of three minute talks on phases of the observatory's history and present work has been arranged. These talks are to be broadcast from the observatory's experimental five meter radio transmitter, W1XW, probably between 2.38 and 3 o'clock, and will be primarily for the benefit of the staff of the Mt. Washington Observatory, a subsidiary of Blue Hill.

The topics discussed will include the founding of the observatory and early experiences in observing, cloud investigations, exploration of the atmosphere with kites and balloons theory of storms, experiments in radio transmission, and solar radiation investigations.

Invitations to attend the function have been sent to former members of the staff living in the vicinity, including Willard P. Gerrsh, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, and the first observer; and H. Helm Clayton, who was in immediate charge of the observational work from 1886 to 1908. It is expected that there will be present a representative of the United States Weather Bureau, and some members of the Board of Overseers committee to visit the observatory.